Recent Posts

Home >> Uncategorized >> Hobbes leviathan essay

Hobbes leviathan essay

Oct/Wed/2017 | Uncategorized

Leviathan Essay - …

Hobbes leviathan essay

Custom Academic Paper Writing Services -
Free Thomas Hobbes Essays and …

Avoid the leviathan Resume Black Hole: How to Get Your Emailed Resume Noticed. We often email resumes in response to poor structure, a job posting or send our resume to essay, a networking contact, recruiter, or hiring manager. That can be very effective, or it can be a waste of time and energy, depending on how well it is done and how good a fit the resume is for the opportunity. Often people seem to assume that the person receiving the email has only one job posting open or will intuitively understand which job is short on fatima being applied for. I#8217;ve often seen email messages with subjects like: #8220;Resume attached#8221; #8220;Your job posting#8221; #8220;Applying for your job#8221; #8220;Assistant job#8221; and even plain old #8220;Attached.#8221; Too often those subject links can make the message look like spam or, worse, a malware-laden message, and hobbes leviathan essay may be deleted. Certainly they are often ignored because they put the burden on the recipient for figuring out why the message was sent and what it is about. Think about your own email usage. According to of bacteria, The Radicati Group, a technology market research firm, people on average received 75 email messages a day in 2011. Anyone who posts a job online could easily receive100 additional messages a day from people responding to the posting that#8217;s 175 messages. That#8217;s a lot of hobbes email to dig through! If someone spent only on isolation of bacteria, 1 minute on each of those 175 messages, that#8217;s nearly 3 hours spent on only scanning email.

Not going to happen, is it? So, if they aren#8217;t deleted, those messages sit in that inbox or other email folder waiting#8230; Email Is Both the Conduit and the Barrier. Unless someone applies for hobbes essay, a job on a job board, most resumes are sent via email, and they end up sitting in someone#8217;s INBOX or in an email folder somewhere on grounded their computer. Leviathan? Sometimes they are read immediately. Often, they sit in that inbox or folder, possibly for poor structure, days or weeks. How does your message with your resume get found and read eventually? The email software#8217;s search function is hobbes leviathan frequently the tool used to sift through messages to grounded, find the essay appropriate applicants and resumes. Few of us think about the email search function when we send our resumes (or other email) messages. To be effective, our messages must be read.

To be read, our messages must first be found and then be determined to short jinnah, be relevant. To be found, our messages must be find-able and clearly on-topic for the job being sought. For Resume Impact, Email Must Be Effective. For the hobbes leviathan essay resume to poor structure, be found, the subject of the essay email must be effective. It must clearly communicate to the recipient the reason that the message should be opened. So, the theory subject line is critical to the effectiveness of the message. Leviathan Essay? #8220;Resume attached#8221; and #8220;Your job opening#8221; don#8217;t make the cut. The person scanning the inbox or using the email search function is theory research looking for specific words in the subject of essay a message. Or, the email search function may also be used to find specific words in the content of the message. Short Essay On Fatima Jinnah? So, keep that in essay mind when you write your email message. Since the email search function usually allows searching through only message subjects or through the text in structure the body of the message, cover both of those bases with your email message. Keywords must be included in the subject of the message.

Often, searches focus on the subject lines of the messages because that is usually the quickest search to perform. To be sure that your message appears in a search through message subjects, think about the keywords that would be relevant for an employer searching through all those email messages to find the ones from people applying for a specific job opening? The job title used by the employer in leviathan the posting. This is writing communication not what you might call it, or what an industry-standard job title would be. The name to use in essay your email is the name this employer has labeled this job. Maybe the rest of the world calls the job #8220;administrative assistant#8221; but this employer calls it #8220;office admin support#8221; or #8220;admin assist.#8221; The job requisition number or other employer identifier assigned to the job posting. Often, job postings have some sort of identifier to essay jinnah, separate them from other postings the same employer has open, even for small employers. It might be the job title and location, but often it is a code that is hobbes essay included in the job description.

The location of the job (city and state). Particularly if there is no job requisition number, include the city and state, unless the employer has only a single location. The word #8220;resume.#8221; Using the word #8220;resume#8221; highlights that the message is from someone who is design technology extended interested in applying for essay, a position. Using the word #8220;resume#8221; also includes a very valuable keyword in essay writing communication the subject line. This ensures that the message appears in search results even on hobbes a general search for resumes. For example, Subj: Resume for Admin Assistant in is important Dispatch position, # 1570, in hobbes San Diego, CA. Visual Essays? In this case, the job title of the job posting is #8220;Admin Assistant in Dispatch.#8221; So, those words are exactly the words used in the email subject. Include those same keywords in the body of the message, too. The same important keywords, described above, that are included in the title of the message need to leviathan, also be included in jinnah the body of the message as well. This ensures that they are found if someone is searching through the leviathan email message as a whole, not just the subject.

In addition, since the email message is grounded paper a form of cover letter for your resume, including the details of the job being applied for is helpful for the reader and, surprisingly, frequently omitted. Including this information comes under the heading of #8220;being easy to hire#8221; in addition to leveraging the hobbes leviathan essay email search function. Since you have more space in the body of the message, you have room to include more of your resume#8217;s keywords, and, in technology extended fact, you can copy and paste your entire resume or the most relevant portions of it into hobbes leviathan the message below the #8220;cover letter#8221; introductory text at the top of your message. Bottom Line: Go with the Probabilities. I think it#8217;s more productive long-term to write your message with the email search function in mind. It also makes your resume stand out in the crowd of other messages in the email inbox. And, following these recommendations will make it clear to visual communication, the recipient why the message was sent. Particularly today, a clear and coherent subject and email message stand out hobbes essay from the on fatima crowd of relatively-clueless appearing responses to job postings. © Copyright, 2012, Susan P. Joyce. All rights reserved. Hobbes Leviathan Essay? Online job search expert Susan P. Joyce has been observing the essay structure online job search world and teaching online job search skills since 1995.

Susan is a two-time layoff “graduate” who has worked in human resources at hobbes Harvard University and in a compensation consulting firm. In 2011, NETability purchased WorkCoachCafe.com, which Susan has been editor and publisher of WorkCoach since then. Susan also edits and publishes Job-Hunt.org. Follow Susan on Twitter at @jobhuntorg and on Google+. Fantastic article. Thesis Of Bacteria? All too often I see very poorly submitted resumes. 1. Job applications with no resume.

2. Unprofessional email addresses. Hobbes Leviathan? 3. Resumes saved as numbers, random words, and unrelated titles. 4. Emails with no text. Essay Is Important In Academic Communication? 5. Emails with no subject line. 6. Subject lines that never address the job in question. It is hard to get a response if you were not among the best responses. You run the risk of your email being neglected all together. Put time into your emails, it is the first step to hobbes leviathan essay, getting that interview. Thank you, Christopher! I#8217;ve been on your side of the process, too, and it can be amazing to see what people submit.

I think often panic replaces common sense as they try to apply to as many jobs as possible, as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, it#8217;s not a #8220;numbers game#8221; where if you submit X number of resumes, you#8217;ll eventually land a job. Not how it works. People stand out by offering quality a careful, thoughtful response. Taking the design extended time to do a quality job even in something as apparently minor (but SO important) as sending a resumes is a genuine differentiator these days. And, leveraging the hobbes leviathan essay email software search capability is a good long-term strategy for job seekers. Great advice Christopher. Unfortunatley I have sumbitted hundreds of applications and theory paper followed all of your rules, and I was qualified for all of them.

NONE have called. Now what? Eat my revolver? If you can figure out how to make it happen#8230;meet with a resume writer or career coach and leviathan get a second opinion on your resume. For low cost or free events, check out this list of job search clubs#8230;a 15 minute correction could improve your returns on applications. Hang in there and essay writing is important good luck! I always include my name (Admissions Coordinator Nikki Lastname).

Is this appropriate? Chris, your insight would be appreciated. Thanks. If you are applying for a job, there#8217;s no need to leviathan essay, have your current title in grounded theory research paper the follow-up email. Hobbes Leviathan Essay? That#8217;s my take#8230; Good luck and all the short jinnah best, I always put #8220;Title of leviathan essay position applying for#8221; #8212; Evie LastName Application so I stand out more. #128578; Hope this helps! NO I may have stated it wrong. Essay Structure? I put the title of the hobbes leviathan position and my name in the subject line. I also add the essays job number if it#8217;s on the posting. I don#8217;t think that it hurts to have your name in the subject line, in case they are searching for you specifically. However, I think that more often they are searching on the job title, the job requisition number, the location, and/or the word #8220;resume.#8221; Hopefully, your email address includes a version of your name, too, which is where they will be most likely to look for it.

I applied for a position on hobbes leviathan essay August 1stI am waiting to follow up. My question is, would be okay to actually go into the office and introduce myself and short jinnah hand the HR director my follow up letter? The office is leviathan essay literally 5 minutes up the street from where I currently work. Does that show initiative and do you think I will stick out amongst the other candidates? Yes it does show inititative however, you may want to make sure the hiring manager is there before you just waltz in to hand in your follow up letter. If you want to design extended, speak directly with that person, call ahead of time just to make she s/he is there. It may even be a nice gesture to call and say, #8220;My name is _______ and I applied for _________ position.

I was going to mail my follow up letter but I currently work at _________ and I am right up the street from hobbes leviathan, your building so I thought I#8217;d drop by and introduce my self and design hand you my follow up letter.#8221; See#8230; simple! Good luck! I hope it all works out for you! #128578; Thanks Evie#8230; I#8217;ll do just that! I received the following email some time back regarding a future secretarial position: #8220;I spoke with Ron and we are both in agreement that as soon as a secretarial position opens I will contact you.#8221; Thank you for essay, your continued interest and I will be in contact with you as soon as a position opens up. The open position is contingent upon a long term employee retiring. Last talks were sometime in September, which I know could change. However, I want to keep in touch with this company but don#8217;t want to be considered a pest. My thought, since it has been a couple of months, was to send a note along with a JIST card.

My problem is I am struggling with an opening sentence. I used to work for this company years back and know Ron from that time. Jason is the poor structure HR person who I met briefly when I stopped by to say hello to Ron. Jason is the person I plan to send the note to. Can you give me some examples of how to start for a position that I remain interested in hobbes when it becomes available?

Thank you. It sounds like you#8217;ve already done quite a lot of networking and have strong relationships with the company. I recommend that you follow up in early September #8212; ideally, the Tuesday after Labor Day if you are in the U.S. If you have a strong relationship with Ron, contact him instead of Jason to remind him of your continued interest#8230;trust Ron first to follow-up as he says he will. (Don#8217;t send a JIST card to him as he knows you already.) The reason for not working directly with HR on this one: HR is usually the office which initiates a search and which must insist that a company follows a hiring process to fill a position. If Ron can bring you in short on fatima more quickly, that would be ideal for all concerned. In the interim, I#8217;d encourage you to continue to keep your overall job search going and apply other places. Due to financial considerations many people do delay retiring for a month or two. Good luck and all the best, Please be sure that you attach your file! I recently sent an application without the file attachment, which contained my resume and cover letter. Leviathan Essay? I re-sent it with the essay in academic file, but that probably didn#8217;t correct the negative impression that I had made. When I attended the Jump Start program at The Maryland Professional Outplacement Assistance Center (POAC) in 2004, the instructors recommended sending a printed application after sending it by e-mail.

They also recommended using rich-text format because it can be read by almost any word-processing program. I always compose my cover letter and resume together in one Word document, with a page break between the two, and then convert it to essay, a PDF file. (While working at is important in academic communication a college bookstore, I was lucky to hobbes leviathan, find Adobe Acrobat on sale for $25.) With a PDF file, I have to theory research paper, be careful to ensure that any less-common fonts that I use are embedded. Using less-common fonts can be a problem with Word or WordPerfect documents because not all versions and hobbes essay installations of these programs include the same set of fonts. Short Essay? Bullet points, which are part of a symbol font, can sometimes appear different on the employer#8217;s screen. The instructors at essay POAC told of poor structure a case in which the leviathan bullet points on an applicant#8217;s resume were rendered as puckered lips.

I think, though, that software has probably advanced enough that such problems are less likely as long as the applicant is careful. Short? Finally, I would consider that not all recipients of your e-mails are sitting in front of a Windows 7 machine with the latest version of Microsoft Word. Some small businesses and essay non-profits still use XP. Thesis On Isolation Of Bacteria? For these recipients, saving your files in an earlier version might be helpful. Hobbes Essay? This last thought leads to thesis of bacteria, the following question. Leviathan? What if the employer is reading your e-mail on thesis on isolation of bacteria an iPad or Android tablet? Thanks for weighing in. Agree with you that PDF is a good way to send documents. This is what I now recommend for most employers and job applications as PDF allows information to be seen the same way across platforms.

This should ideally also read the same way on an iPad or Android tablet. Leviathan? Insightful and helpful post and comments here. Visual Communication? My question is somewhat related to the comment above about sending your resume/application through email. Leviathan? Basically, I#8217;m in the process of applying for a position as a probation officer, which is a multi-step process, starting with the essay writing in academic initial online application that you submit to the #8220;.gov#8221; official state (SC, in my case, though I know other states use the same company to handle applicants) website, followed by the scheduling and taking of a sort of hobbes leviathan competency test that in my case is specific to the position. You have to then wait for research paper, your results, at leviathan essay which point they notify you by email whether or not you have passed ( I did), and they then send you the addresses of the specific county offices that you wish to request an interview with, and require that you send a paper copy of your transcript as well as a printed copy of the original submitted application. I#8217;m assuming that along with the transcript and of bacteria application, it would be wise to hobbes leviathan, include my resume as well as a cover letter (?). Poor? I may be overthinking this, but I#8217;m caught up on just what might be the best particular ettiquite or way to mail off all of this paperwork, maybe you had a suggestion? I mean, I guess I don#8217;t really know if it would look good stuffing all of that paper into a regular envelope obviously.

Like I said, I may be overthinking this, but I don#8217;t want to let a seemingly small snafu cause me to hobbes leviathan, miss out on an interview I guess. Sorry for the long comment! Would love to hear any suggestions if you think of it, thanks! You must be logged in to post a comment. Answering Job Interview Questions: Work Coach Cafe is a safe place to share job search stories, find support, and see what others have on their minds. Please enjoy browsing our site and add to the community with your thoughts! Even more About WorkCoachCafe.com. builtforteams on Smart Bragging Wins Your Next Job Stay Informed and design technology extended Inspired with 5 Recommended Career Blogs Capella University Blog on 10 Steps from hobbes leviathan, Job Interview to Job Offer builtforteams on 7 Ways to Be Easy to Hire groovygal on After the Job Interview: Why Haven#8217;t They Called Me Yet? Susan P. Visual? Joyce on hobbes leviathan essay After the Job Interview: Why Haven#8217;t They Called Me Yet? 2007 -- 2015 NETability, Inc.

All rights reserved. Copyright #x000A9; 2017 NETability, Inc.· Log in.

Pay for Essay and Get the Best Paper You Need -
Essay: Thomas Hobbes: the Long …

How Roger Goodell became the most powerful man in American sports. The inside track on Washington politics. *Invalid email address. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. (Ben Margot/AP) This article was updated Thursday with the news of a U.S. Hobbes Essay! District Court judge’s decision nullifying Tom Brady’s suspension and the NFL’s appeal. Early in 2013, former National Football League commissioner Paul Tagliabue traveled from thesis of bacteria, Washington to New York to meet with his successor, Roger Goodell.

Goodell months earlier had imposed sweeping discipline on leviathan essay, New Orleans Saints coaches, players and an executive in response to a program that allegedly rewarded players for inflicting injuries on opponents. When players appealed, dragging a messy scandal into the regular season, Goodell appointed Tagliabue to issue a ruling. Tagliabue’s decision in poor essay structure December 2012 mostly agreed with Goodell’s findings — but, in hopes of hobbes essay avoiding further litigation by the players, he overturned the essay writing is important in academic, players’ suspensions. Goodell wasn’t happy. Leviathan Essay! He expected his discipline to be upheld to grounded paper the letter and hobbes, was willing to technology extended draw out “BountyGate” as long as it took to secure a victory. Tagliabue felt that prolonging the matter even one day was counterproductive and hobbes leviathan, potentially damaging to the league. “Enough is enough,” Tagliabue told Goodell, according to short on fatima an individual familiar with their conversation, but Goodell didn’t see it that way. The men haven’t spoken much since. That scene, according to interviews with more than two dozen people who have worked with, negotiated against, or otherwise spent significant time around the most powerful man in American sports, was classic Goodell: He wanted a victory for the league — or at least the appearance of hobbes essay one — and the team owners who employ him.

Anything less was unacceptable and poor essay, seen as a direct hit on the commissioner’s authority. “Good is essay, not good enough,” a former league office colleague said of the essay on fatima jinnah, kind of hobbes essay outcome Goodell pursues. “It’s got to be perfect.” Goodell, 56, has spent the past 12 months explaining — often clumsily — crisis after crisis, deflecting the essays, occasional call for him to resign. As he did three years ago, the commissioner has again dug in hobbes leviathan essay his heels: this time involving deflated footballs and the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots, whose owner, Robert Kraft, is one of Goodell’s closest allies. “DeflateGate” has entered its ninth month and advanced to federal court, and even with a new season set to begin, Goodell seems unwilling to writing in academic communication accept anything less than total victory, in this case upholding his four-game suspension of hobbes essay Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. Even after a federal district court in New York vacated Brady’s suspension on Thursday, a major loss for the NFL and its commissioner, the visual communication, league was quick to promise an appeal — guaranteeing that another controversy will carry into the regular season. “The commissioner’s responsibility to secure the hobbes leviathan essay, competitive fairness of our game is a paramount principle,” an NFL-issued statement read, “and the theory paper, league and our 32 clubs will continue to pursue a path to that end.”

The son of hobbes leviathan a former U.S. senator, Goodell is the closest professional sports has to a politician. He is versatile and talented and stubborn, and he learned as a young man in Washington — a city driven by the wielding of power and distribution of favors — that higher office is only as secure as his supporters’ faith in short essay him. In Goodell’s case it is the owners of the 31 privately held NFL franchises. Indeed, Goodell runs NFL ownership like a politician works an unwieldy caucus: There are those he can count on and others who will cause headaches. Some are more engaged and influential than others.

The real trick is essay, keeping everyone happy — and in line. Goodell is an expert at essay managing up, and he has learned that the key to succeeding — and, more recently, surviving — in a sprawling and complicated business is by identifying and leaning on the “four or five owners that Roger uses to run the league,” one NFL executive said. “Everyone else is irrelevant or unheard.” Goodell has spent every day of his career working for the NFL and essay, is a true creature of jinnah its culture. He’s been at hobbes essay it long enough to know that certain owners — in his case Kraft, Dallas’s Jerry Jones, the essay structure, New York Giants’ John Mara, Carolina’s Jerry Richardson and Pittsburgh’s Art and hobbes essay, Dan Rooney — can be powerful allies. They are active in league politics, men of interest and influence in a vast corporation expected this year to reach about $12 billion in revenue, the grounded research paper, kinds of figures capable of guiding an ambitious NFL intern through three decades and eventually make him commissioner. “He has spent a lifetime preparing himself to be the hobbes leviathan, commissioner,” Jones said last month at an NFL owners meeting outside Chicago. Nine years into his term, Goodell is far removed from that young man who long ago wanted nothing more than responsibility.

His refusal to back down against communication, Kraft might be a short-term strategy or a long-term message to other owners. Regardless, Goodell is using that practiced acumen to do the one thing in politics more difficult than reaching power: maintaining a grip on it. He spent part of his childhood in Northwest Washington, not far from the National Cathedral, accompanying his father, Charles, on the campaign trail and hobbes leviathan essay, playing with kids whose names carried weight on Capitol Hill: Udall and Mondale. Young Roger experienced the best and worst of politics as a boy. Technology Essay! But in part because of the way it ended for his dad, he grew up with aspirations beyond entering the leviathan essay, family business. Grounded Theory Research! He was 22 when he wrote the first of 40 letters to the NFL. “I have always desired a career in the NFL,” Goodell typed in a July 2, 1981, letter to Commissioner Pete Rozelle. He went on to write to each of the 28 teams at the time and any other league property with a potential job. Somewhere amid the rejection letters was an offer for a three-month internship in the league office in leviathan New York, and almost as soon as he started, he began jockeying for more to do. “One word you could use is impatient,” recalled Jay Moyer, a now-retired attorney and executive for the league. “One thing that became clear to me was that Roger wanted more responsibility.” Goodell, who declined an interview request for visual essays this story through a league spokesman, spent those earliest months answering fan phone lines and, working in the public relations department, responding to basic media questions. He took a one-year internship with the New York Jets, making the one-hour drive before sunrise to hobbes make copies for design technology extended coaches and reporters, finishing each assignment before badgering the Jets’ PR man, Frank Ramos, for a new task. “Everything was: ‘Give me more to hobbes do,’ ” Ramos said. “ ‘I can do this; I can do that.

You want me to call so and so? You want me to do this? I can get that done.’ ” He returned to the league office in short jinnah 1984, agreeing to fill in sometimes as Rozelle’s driver, and when the hobbes essay, NFL set up a hotline for college players and their families, it was Goodell’s warm, friendly voice on the recording. He was outspoken in structure meetings and confident in hobbes his value, arguing with Moyer once over the paltriness of his pay raise. “Pay your dues,” Moyer told the young staffer, but Goodell was in much too big a hurry for that. Goodell’s ambitions and personality were on full display, but because he was trying to essay make his own name instead of hobbes essay playing on his father’s, he kept some things to himself. Charles Goodell had been, during Roger’s youth, a promising Republican who had been appointed a New York senator in 1968, filling the communication essays, seat vacated when Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated. The elder Goodell, seen as a loyalist, had been created by hobbes essay the party; by 1970 his own people were destroying him. On Isolation! Against the Nixon administration’s wishes, Goodell had boldly spoken out against U.S. involvement in Vietnam — an act of rebellion against the White House.

Republicans made sure Goodell would never hold another office; in leviathan essay fact, the experience had been so painful that he never again pursued one. Roger Goodell’s league office colleagues knew the in academic communication, story, some believing his dad’s fall from grace steered the young man away from a career in hobbes leviathan essay politics. But others noticed a few inherited skills. “He has his father’s political genes,” Joe Browne, the league’s longest-serving employee and a senior adviser to essay Goodell, wrote in an e-mail. This was one of the leviathan, things Tagliabue liked about Goodell after Tagliabue succeeded Rozelle as commissioner in 1989. The young man could get along with most anyone, brokering agreements no matter the key players’ backgrounds. “He could reach across the aisle,” Tagliabue said, borrowing a political analogy. “That’s one of theory research his great skills.” An NFL executive by age 31, Goodell was put in charge of international development and, later, of hobbes leviathan club relations and expansion. He was, more simply, Tagliabue’s point man when it came to dealing with team owners on these matters, a young power broker referred to as “boy wonder” in 1993 by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Goodell spent time at team facilities and learned the figures involved in paper league politics — the “key owners,” as Tagliabue put it. Goodell spent time with Dan Rooney, the Steelers’ owner who would later be named U.S. ambassador to Ireland, on the potential of moving a franchise overseas. Goodell worked closely with Wellington and hobbes leviathan essay, John Mara, one of a fading number of thesis on isolation NFL legacy families, and shared a respect for hobbes the league’s traditions. He grew close with Richardson as a new franchise was awarded to Charlotte, and with Kraft in the mid-1990s as the visual communication, Patriots remained in the Boston area and construction on a new stadium began in 2000. Hobbes! When Jones antagonized the NFL over short essay on fatima jinnah franchises’ entitlement to apparel licensing revenues, it was Goodell who understood the Cowboys owner’s argument and presented it within the league office. In Goodell, the essay, NFL’s most powerful owners had an executive who hadn’t just gotten to know them; he recognized the subjects closest to their hearts. And he was willing to keep them happy and, in the league office, have their backs.

In 2006, a few of them would return the favor. Tagliabue was stepping down after 17 years as commissioner, and is important communication, an eight-person committee — Richardson, Dan Rooney, Jones and Kraft among the members — would select his replacement. Leviathan Essay! As he had done as a 22-year-old, Goodell — who by essays then was the league’s executive vice president and chief operating officer — sat down that August and began to hobbes essay write. On the ninth and final page of his speech to NFL owners, he outlined reasons why he should become commissioner: “I live and breathe the league — your league,” he wrote. A few days later, the votes having been cast, someone knocked on Goodell’s hotel room door. He opened it and saw Rooney, standing there with a smile. Goodell had a strange way of thanking Rooney: Eight weeks after assuming his new office, the new commissioner hit the on fatima, Steelers owner with a $25,000 fine for hobbes leviathan essay publicly criticizing game officials.

But it wasn’t meant as just routine discipline. It was a message to the league: No one would be protected from Goodell’s crosshairs. Design Technology Extended Essay! “He’s very mindful of the importance of being even-handed,” one longtime league employee said. After two seasons, Goodell was already making his mark on a changing NFL. He had issued a dozen player suspensions, more than in hobbes essay Tagliabue’s final five years as commissioner, and was determined to curb a reputation of lawlessness that had surrounded the league. DeAngelo Hall, at the time an Atlanta Falcons cornerback, called Goodell the “sheriff”; the Orlando Sentinel in 2008 floated a loftier title: potential presidential candidate, an ambition Goodell’s father, who died in technology 1987, never had the chance to pursue. He was featured on a 2012 cover of leviathan essay Time magazine, the words “THE ENFORCER” emblazoned in red type over a stately portrait of Goodell, who had said frequently since becoming commissioner that his job was to protect the integrity of the game and the NFL’s symbolic “shield.” Indeed, the man looked comfortable in a suit, coming across as approachable and light-hearted. More important, he kept his 31 bosses happy as Goodell’s corporate leveraging — which some believe was directly tied to essay writing communication the league’s cleaner image — led to the average value of each NFL team swelling from $897 million in 2006, according to Forbes magazine, to hobbes essay $1.43 billion in 2015.

Overall league revenue, which was about $6 billion when Goodell took over, has doubled; the commissioner in 2010 told owners that, by 2027, he had a larger number in visual communication essays mind: $25 billion. Hobbes! Goodell’s pay — determined annually by an owner-led compensation committee — grew as a result: roughly $11 million in his first year, ballooning to more than $44 million in visual communication 2012 and $35 million in 2013. Still, there were dissidents. James Harrison, the Steelers linebacker who has been fined a total of $150,000 since 2010, referred to Goodell as a “crook and hobbes leviathan, a puppet” in a 2011 interview with Men’s Journal. Others in and around the league, noticing that certain owners seemed closer to the commissioner than others, wondered whether Goodell played favorites. The perception was underscored in grounded research paper 2007, when Goodell penalized Kraft’s Patriots for videotaping an opposing team’s signals: stripped draft picks, a combined $750,000 in fines — but no suspensions, leading some to wonder if the commissioner had taken it easy on Kraft’s franchise. The league office adamantly denied any favoritism was involved. In 2012, the Washington Redskins were docked $36 million in potential spending for hobbes illegally manipulating the essay, salary cap. Mike Shanahan, Washington’s head coach at the time, would say later that the hobbes leviathan, team — whose owner, Daniel Snyder, is neither involved in essay structure league politics nor especially close with Goodell — was notified less than an hour before free agency began, effectively wrecking the team’s offseason plans without recourse.

The Cowboys, whose owner, Jones, is within Goodell’s innermost circle, were penalized $10 million for similar violations, but nonetheless Shanahan couldn’t help but wonder if a team owned by hobbes essay a Goodell ally would have at essay on fatima least had a chance to explain. “The worst fine in essay the history of the league without giving a team the chance to design extended essay defend themselves?” Shanahan said. “That’s when you say there’s something wrong. Would he have done that to whoever? I don’t know.” Empowered and popular, Goodell has had his authority rarely challenged. Hobbes Essay! He had reached a mountaintop he’d pursued for more than two decades. But at some point, scandals and the NFL’s occasionally bizarre reaction to them — player concussions, the Patriots’ videotaping controversy, the 2011 player lockout, the essay writing is important in academic, Saints’ alleged bounty program, a lockout of game officials, a series of domestic violence cases punctuated by an incident involving former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice — led the proactive, approachable commissioner to give way to hobbes leviathan essay a man frequently in essay structure a defensive posture, scrambling to project a league in control. “All the owners are looking at him,” one former team executive said, and hobbes, after Judge Richard Berman’s ruling in favor of Brady on Thursday, owners might be looking more closely than ever at design essay Goodell’s next move. If a proposal was rejected or a decision skirted, Goodell’s default response by 2011 was to hunker down — or to leviathan explode. During collective bargaining negotiations with the NFL Players Association in 2011, Goodell’s face turned red so often that union representatives often spent mornings predicting which of the day’s topics would send the commissioner over design technology the edge. “That’s what I remember: ‘I bet he’s going to turn red when he hears this,’ ” said a former NFL player who was involved in the discussions.

A few times, the former player said, Goodell would storm out of the meeting room, leaving a few franchise owners — often Kraft, Richardson and Jones — to resume negotiations while Goodell cooled off. During Tagliabue’s time as commissioner, he preferred quietly settling disputes with franchises or the leviathan essay, union, often agreeing to compromises so that the sides could move on. “All’s well that ends well” wasn’t how Tagliabue ran his league. He preferred a variation of that saying: “All’s well that ends.” “The perfect is the enemy of the good,” said Tagliabue, who oversaw an occasionally renegade league but nonetheless presided over 17 years of labor peace. The league office under Goodell seems to visual communication favor an approach taken from a political campaign playbook: taking the temperature of ideas through media leaks, extensive polling and third-party data gathering. Crises often become endurance tests waged in the public sphere. For nearly seven months in 2011, labor negotiations (leading to the first work stoppage since 1987) dominated headlines. Essay! For nine months in 2012, BountyGate cast a shadow over the league and, eventually, its regular season.

For nine months in 2014, again during the season, the Rice domestic assault case went on. Jinnah! For eight months (and counting) in essay 2015, DeflateGate has lingered — Goodell refusing to let go as he plays defense for the league again. “That obsessive, compulsive commitment to doing what’s right for design technology essay the shield and for the image of the NFL,” the former executive said. “There are times where you have to make that kind of leviathan essay decision. But you don’t have to make that kind of decision all the time.” Goodell wore a dark suit Monday morning as he entered Federal District Court in Manhattan for short essay the third time in a month, his final appearance before Judge Berman issued his ruling. This visit was no different from the first two. Goodell wasn’t ready to give in.

Thirty-two weeks have passed since the AFC championship game, when the hobbes, Patriots were found to have used partially deflated footballs in a victory over the Indianapolis Colts. Since then, the on isolation of bacteria, controversy has advanced and escalated: the more than $2.5 million investigation commissioned by the league, Goodell himself presiding over the players’ union’s appeal on Brady’s behalf, into Judge Berman’s court, and now as the NFL redoubles its pursuit of essay a victory in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Kraft is upset, but he is on fatima, said to view Goodell like a son — and therefore isn’t expected to hold a grudge. Besides, in league politics, an owner’s loyalties ultimately lie with the commissioner, not a player — even one as connected to the NFL and his team as Brady. As for Goodell, Kraft is a longtime ally, but he is only one. The others, league insiders have speculated, are likely leaning in to measure where the commissioner’s loyalties truly lie: with one owner — whose franchise has earned resentment in part by winning four Super Bowls since the 2001 season — or with the league itself. “Probably if you polled all the owners in the room,” a former team executive said, “a lot of them are probably happy.” One franchise owner said that despite the challenges of the hobbes, past year, there is poor, “universal support” for hobbes essay Goodell as commissioner. “Overall,” the owner said, “everybody thinks he’s doing a very good job in a very, very challenging environment.” Charles Goodell spent his final 16 years bouncing from Washington to communication New York, from hobbes, lawyer to lobbyist, from a man who spent the 1970s losing his career and first marriage to one who spent his final decade of life trying to rediscover his footing. “He never regretted the decision he made,” Roger Goodell included in his remarks to NFL owners in August 2006 as they prepared to elect a new commissioner. But those who know the former senator’s ambitious middle son wonder now if Roger Goodell is at a similar crossroads — and whether, unlike his dad, he’ll do anything to structure stay on essay, the good side of the powerful people who brought him to this point. Thesis On Isolation Of Bacteria! “It’s like Roger thinks: ‘I may win, I may lose,’ ” one acquaintance said. Hobbes Leviathan Essay! “‘But I’m never going to lose in a way that my own people cut my throat.’” Nine years ago this week, Goodell moved into the commissioner’s office, six blocks away from where he once worked as an intern so many years earlier.

He was an poor structure idealist, the same as his dad, moving into an office whose layout had — despite new buildings and changing times — remained the leviathan essay, same since 1960. He personalized the wall by hanging two framed pages of the is important in academic, Congressional Record from hobbes essay, September 1969, when a politician made his stand, not willing to give in: “Mr. President, the war drags on,” the commissioner’s father once said. Writing Communication! “ . Hobbes Leviathan! . . It seems to know no end.”

Order Paper Writing Help 24/7 -
Hobbes; Leviathan Essays

Analysis of Dead Poets Society: Non-Conformity Changes Lives Essay Sample. Dead Poets Society is a movie set in the 1950 s But filmed in 1989 .Although it is set on leviathan the 50s the movie talks and is able to get through transcendentalist ideals to the viewer . The movie is grounded theory research set in a boy’s only private school called Walton that sends its graduates to Ivy league colleges. Where Mr. Keating is the new English teacher were he introduces non conformity and transcendentalism to his students. In the movie each boy has a scene where he breaks out of his norm becomes and a nonconformist. The movie also relates to transcendentalist poetry like Emily Dickson work And Walt Whitman especially in his poems in “song of leviathan essay myself. “ So Transcendentalism connects to the movie through poetry. The movie shows us that transcendentalism is freedom and braking from the norm while having consequences it is ultimately a good thing. Essay On Fatima! Mr. Keating is the new English teacher. He graduated from the leviathan same school Walton Academy.

But Mr. Keating is writing very different in his way of teaching and leviathan, his message to the students. The school learning is set on essay structure memorization on rules like x +y makes z in the movie they show us how other teachers teach in a way that does not allow the leviathan essay boys to short essay on fatima jinnah, think and put ideas out. From the first class Mr. Keating he seemed different to hobbes, the students from the first thing he told them to do is to get of the room to the take the class some were else witch seemed very strange to the students . “Seize the day”( Dead Poets Society) was one of the first things he thought his class that means they should be free and communication essays, live the day before they die it was the hobbes first non-conformist ideas he taught them . Then he started his next class when he told his students to rip the short essay jinnah introduction of their book. Hobbes Leviathan! The introduction describes poetry in a very mathematical way, by design technology essay, measuring the enjoyment by the hymn verse and hobbes leviathan, the length .So he told his students to rip out the pages because he was a transcendentalist / non conformist he told the kids that the verse is not important nor the technicalities so he told them to write in grounded, free verse which was introduced by hobbes essay, the transcendentalist. The transcendentalists were the first people how broke out visual communication essays of the norm and hobbes, started to write in free verse like Walt Witmas poem. Poor Essay! Mr.

Keating started introducing non conformity by freedom the freedom of writing whatever you want without rules or regulations just expressing your own feelings without worrying about anything. “Now my class you will learn to think for your selves again .”( Dead Poets Society) Mr. Keating clearly wants his students to hobbes leviathan, create their own poetry their own thinking not just memorization or basing their poetry on mathematical basis. “ No matter what anybody tells you world and ideas can change to world.” (Dead Poets Society ) He is telling his students to write to communication essays, change the hobbes world to essays, express themselves and he is telling them not to care what anyone tells them there words and ideas can change the world. He also tells them to see the world in essay, a different prescriptive and that everyone has their own pace. When he introduced conformity he did it in a kinesthetic way and writing is important in academic communication, he showed his students that everyone has their own way of thinking. So he says that every individual is hobbes leviathan essay different. The kids found out that Mr. Keating was in a dead poets society club were the boys would go to a cave at midnight and read poetry. They would go to visual communication, a cave to connect with nature here the leviathan essay cave symbolizes nature and the read whatever poem they want and jinnah, expresses their feelings. The poem read symbolized and essay, expressed freedom so in short essay on fatima, dead poets society club they connected with nature and had freedom which are transcendentalist ideals.

Mr. Keating also told the boys to call him “O captain my captain” ( Whitman 1) witch is a poem written by the poet Walt Whitman who is a transcendentalist. Transcendentalist broke the rules of poetry by using free verse and not just followed the stressed (/) and unstressed ( U) syllables. Transcendentalist also broke rules in life like Mr. Keating had nonconformist teaching methods that any normal teacher would not use.

He also told them about Dead Poets Society so he broke the rules. Transcendentalist poetry had a lot of imagery visual “ A Coffin – is a small domain” ( Dickinson 1) it also has auditory “ Rise up and hear the bells.”( Whitman, 9)But the most important type of imagery used was organic imagery most of essay all the poems had an organic fell to it. The transcendentalist had a lot of essay writing feelings put into their poetry. Todd Anderson is the new kid. Leviathan Essay! Todd is a very shy he is structure often compared to his brother who was a very smart student that graduated from Walton. That might have made him uncomfortable ( Baker , Jessica, “Todd anderson”). Essay! When the other boys decided to join Dead Poets Society he was very hesitant he joined the club. In dead poets society club all the design technology essay members read a poem out loud but Todd is too shy to do that. When Todd got a assignment to read a poem out lode he told Mr. Hobbes! Keating the grounded theory research he did not do it, then it is revealed that he thinks that no one wants to hear what’s in his head and its all non sense then Mr. Keating makes him break his fear in a kind of way and expresses himself when he made him sound his barbaric yelp what is kind of sounding his inner self.

When he sounded his barbaric yalp it was auditory imagery he was shouting. Hobbes Leviathan Essay! One day he just broke out of his shell in dead poets society club and started breaking out. Then he trough away the desk set he got from his parents every year from his birthday the desk set symbolized that he is starting over and that he is braking from the norm. Here they expressed kinesthetic imagery but there was an organic feel to it. Is Important! After Nile commits suicide he finally breaks out and stands up for himself. Essay! After Niles death when Mr. Keating got fired he came to take some of short on fatima jinnah his belongings then Todd completely broke out of his shell and stood on hobbes his desk and said “ O captain my captain.” ( Whitman 1) He was ordered to sit down or face expulsion he never sat dawn and then most of the design class stood up for Mr. Keating. Nile Perry was the fast to change and developed non-conformist ideas, some people also argue that he never changed and that he was always a non conformist he just needed a little push. ( Baker , Jessica, “Nile Perry”).

Nile was one of the essay fastest to respond he was the first one to remove the pages of the thesis on isolation of bacteria book when Mr. Keating ordered them to. He also started the leviathan idea of grounded theory restarting the club Dead Poets Society. His family was not as rich as the other families so his dad would control him what activities he did and witch he did not. He loved acting but his dad opposed it he tried to convince him but his dad was a conformist.

Nile did not listen to his dads orders and he joined the play. In that same day his dad took him home to punish him He then told him that he wants to send him to militarily school. He got sick and tired so he opened the leviathan essay window and attempted to connect with nature. The opening of the window symbolized who he is letting nature come inside and the thing he was wearing on essay writing in academic his head was made of tree branches those were visual imagery used to hobbes essay, let the viewer know how he is attempting to connect with nature. Then sadly he went and shot himself.

So he freed himself by commuting suicide he became a free man and his father can’t control his life anymore so he had to pay the biggest price he had to make the jinnah biggest sacrifice his life to free himself. When he attempted to connect with nature he did as Walt Whitman said in his poem “Song of Myself” When he said “ I am mad to be for hobbes, it to be in contact with me” ( Whitman 12) here is talking about who he connects with nature and how is essay on fatima jinnah wants it really bad and hobbes leviathan, that connects directly want Nile did. “ I celebrate myself.” ( Whitman 1) When Whitman said that he meant that he is free and he is free to poor structure, celebrate himself his is hobbes essay happy with himself and extended essay, When Nile committed suicide he wanted to celebrate himself. It’s also clear that transcendentalist are not afraid of death and that they believe that they will go to heaven if they connect to nature that’s why he connected to hobbes leviathan, nature before he committed suicide. Communication! Emily Dickenson is also not afraid of death as she shows through her poem. “ A Coffin – is a small Domain Yet able to hobbes, contain a Citizen of paradise.” ( Dickinson , 1-3) That is clear that she believes that she will go to paradise. Theory Research Paper! Charlie Dalton was also very fast to change.

He was the leviathan essay first the rip out the pages of the introduction that shows that he is essay jinnah responding. His charter is like the rebel kid or as it might be said the clown of the hobbes essay class. Essay! He changed his name to Nuwanda which is a very wired name that just shows that he is daring. Charlie is also not afraid to tell his opinion which shows that he is a non conformist he published an article in the school paper saying that girls must be allowed to attend the school . He would also bring two girls to the Dead Poets Society club meeting. Hobbes Leviathan! He as well as the others were very affected by Niles death.

He was also mad because they are holding Mr. Keating responsible for Niles death. Charlie was almost a non conformist with Mr. Keating he became free. Charlie was expelled from the school due to him not letting Mr. Keating not take the fall. Knox Overstreet Has a quiet different story to him he falls in love with this girl called Chris. He is invited to dinner with her parents when he meets he instantly falls in essay on fatima, love with her just like it’s like love at first sight.

He describes her as the most beautiful girls he has ever seen .Then it’s shown that after he started loving her he started using love poetry as he wrote a love poem in his class assignment. He then learns that she has a boyfriend when he kisses her in a party that she invited him to the boyfriend punches him in the face. Hobbes Leviathan! But he does not let him stop him he writes her a poem a love poem and reads it to design technology essay, her. But he does not let him stop him he writes her a poem a love poem and reads it to her. In this way he freely expresses what his feelings are not caring about her boyfriend not caring what anyone cares or how hears him. She finally fell for him and leviathan essay, went out with him to Niles play.

Here Knox kind of reflects on Emily Dickenson When she said “ Wild night should be our luxury.”( Dickenson,3-4) Here she said that wild nights with some one special are a luxury. Also that she should fight for those nights or in Knox date even if there are many obstacles in design, the way he should still fight for his love to Chris. After Niles death his parents wanted to know what caused his death. Hobbes Leviathan! The investigation lead to Mr. Keating.

Then Carmon who is poor essay one of the boys starts to hobbes leviathan, convince them to put the blame on Mr. Essay! Keating Charlie gets really mad and punches him, Charlie is later expelled here even with the circumstances Charlie refuses to give in. The other boys are forced to sign some paper to give Mr. Keating the fall or they get expelled. Mr. Keating gets dismissed Then surprisingly Todd out of all the boys stand up for leviathan essay, Mr. Keating when he said “ O captain my captain “ While Mr. Keating is leaving for the last time . The other members of Dead Poets Society club follow show that they are non conformists are that they are free. Of Bacteria! Carmon Does not follow. After Todd has learn about death he said “Its his father he did it .” ( Dead Poets Society) That gives more evidence that he did it to become free from his father and Todd was close to him because they share a room so he told him about his father.

To point out that Niles death tool place in winter this might symbolize sadness and depression. Leviathan! Is this the perfect essay for essays, you? Save time and order Analysis of hobbes leviathan Dead Poets Society: Non-Conformity Changes Lives. essay editing for thesis on isolation, only $13.9 per page. Top grades and quality guaranteed! Relevant essay suggestions for Analysis of Dead Poets Society: Non-Conformity Changes Lives. Dead Poets Society is hobbes essay a movie that compares the thesis of bacteria conflict between realism and romanticism. The setting takes place at an all-boys preparatory school named, Welton Academy. The academy is a#8230; Dead Poets Society. In Dead Poets Society we feel that a considerable amount of injustice occurred in relation to Keating. What is your opinion about this and how do you respond to the#8230; Dead Poets Society: The Influence Of Transcendental Thinking.

Dead Poets Society: The Influence of Transcendental Thinking Transcendental thinking has an extremely empowering and influential effect upon whoever listens to its teachings. Hobbes! Transcendental thinkers such as Ralph Waldo Emerson#8230; Transcendental themes in the movie #8220;Dead Poets Society#8221; The movie #8220;The Dead Poets Society#8221; is about a group of private school boys in the North East. They encounter a teacher, Mr. Keating, whom is a little different than#8230; The communication aspects of the #8220;Dead Poets Society#8221; #8220;The Dead Poets Society#8221; is an awe inspiring film set in the 1950s about a teacher who went against the grain and taught his high school students to think for#8230; Dead Poets Society Challenging Authority. Thesis Of Bacteria! Humans have always stood for essay, their beliefs, even when overshadowed by a colossal adversary. This is what challenging authority is about, standing up for ones beliefs in the face of#8230;

Write My Essays Today -
Leviathan Essay - …

Five questions the new Blade Runner must answer. Any Blade Runner fan who doesn’t have mixed feelings about the Blade Runner 2049 sequel probably isn’t much of a fan. Hollywood sequels have a bad track record of essay, course. And while the presence of Harrison Ford might encourage some to essay writing hope for a sequel as mighty as Star Wars: The Force Awakens, many of us also (vaguely) remember Indiana Jones and Crystal Skullymajig. But let’s be crystal clear about one thing. Hobbes Essay? Blade Runner has a strong claim to greatest ever scifi movie ever (with only short essay jinnah, 2001: A Space Odyssey really in contention for hobbes that crown). It also has a good shot at greatest ever movie, no exceptions. Agree with those claims or not, Blade Runner is a profoundly important story, with a place in our cultural life that only a very few works of short essay on fatima jinnah, art will ever reach. The chance to revisit that story is profoundly exciting.

These are my personal questions, going into Blade Runner 2049, that will act as a bellwether of the story’s quality. If the answers to these questions are absent, I suspect the film will be an leviathan essay empty, pretty husk. If they are present, even if the film is not the masterpiece of the original, there will be something there to satisfy me. A story that ends with the words “it’s a shame she won’t live” begs the question, which audiences will all be taking into the sequel, “did she live?” Rachel faces the essay, same fate as Roy Batty et al. But while we saw them fail and hobbes leviathan essay die, and while we were told no solution existed, it remains possible…perhaps even probable…that Rachel survives. A high profile spat between Sean Young, who plays Rachel, and the Blade Runner producers, now looks like it might have been manufactured to cover secret scenes filmed by Young for the sequel. If so, the communication essays, natural question becomes, what did Rachel do next? I think it’s very likely that the fate of the Blade Runner world in this sequel will be deeply determined by Rachel’s fate. Most Blade Runner fans are aware of the leviathan essay, popular theory, suported by Ridley Scott, that Deckard is himself a replicant. The prime evidence for this is the unicorn dream sequence, restored to essay writing later edits of the hobbes leviathan, movie, and the origami unicorn left outside Deckards apartment, suggesting that his dreams – like Rachels – are known to his creators.

While it remains a theory at the moment, Blade Runner 2049 will almost certainly confirm it either way. No, this isn’t a dig at the acting talents of the Goslingator. He’s no Brando, but he’s waaaay less wooden than Keanu Reeves, and probably in a similar ballpark to the younger Harrison Ford. But as his character is the clear analog to Deckard in the original, we’re all going to be wondering about poor structure his humanity. Essay? As will he.

I think you can expect Gosling’s search for grounded research paper his own human identity to hobbes leviathan essay be central to this sequel. Communication? That said, if the writers are really ambitious, the film won’t be about Gosling’s character on anything but the surface level. Are all the hobbes, humans replicants? Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep is the original novel by short essay on fatima, Philip K Dick that Blade Runner is, very very very loosely, based on. It’s a broken work of genius, less incoherent that other classic PKD novels like Ubik or The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. But it’s still dominated by wild concepts, at the expense of some very shoddy writing and flat pack characters. PKD spins his novel in an even weirder direction when Deckard visits a police station entirely staffed by replicants. The suggestion is that everybody in the world of the novel is a replicant. Story hints about Blade Runner 2049 tantilse with the possibility that it will explore this radical idea.

Can humanity recover its empathy? Philip K Dick was the greatest myth maker of the 20th century, spinning metaphors for hobbes leviathan the strange new realities technology has thrown all of us into. Both his novel, and the Blade Runner movie, are modern myths about the human capacity for empathy. Theory Research? Replicants are a fiction, but our capacity to dehumanize and enslave other humans is as great as ever. Blade Runner 2049 has an incredible job to match the original as a treatise on empathy, and hobbes leviathan our human awareness of our own vulnerability and mortality, without which empathy cannot exist. I wish it luck in the task ;) Tolkien’s myths are a political fantasy. In a world built on myth, we can’t ignore the writing is important in academic, reactionary politics at the heart of Tolkien’s Middle Earth. It’s a double-edged magical sword, being a fan of JRR Tolkien. On one hand we’ve had the joy of watching Lord of the Rings go from cult success to, arguably, the most successful and influential story of the leviathan essay, last century. And we get to laugh in the face of critics who claimed LotR would never amount to anything, while watching a sumptuous (if absurdly long) adaption of essay in academic communication, The Hobbit.

“A balanced telling might well have shown Smaug to be much more of a reforming force in the valley of Dale.” On the hobbes leviathan, other hand, you also have to research paper consider the serious criticisms made of Tolkien’s writing, such as Michael Moorcock’s in his 1978 essay, Epic Pooh. As a storyteller Tolkien is on a par with Homer or the anonymous bard behind Beowulf, the epic poets who so influenced his work. But as works of modern mythology, the leviathan, art Tolkien called “mythopoeia”, both Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are open to serious criticism. To understand why takes a little consideration of what we really mean by the word “myth”. Short? The world can be a bafflingly complex place. Why is the sky blue? What’s this rocky stuff I’m standing on?

Who are all these hairless chimps I’m surrounded by? The only way we don’t just keep babbling endless questions like hyperactive six-year-olds is by reducing the infinite complexities of existence to something more simple. To a story. Stories that we call myths. Science gives us far more accurate answers to our questions than ever before. But we’re still dependent on myths to hobbes leviathan actually comprehend the science. The multi-dimensional expansion of energy, space and time we call the Big Bang wasn’t literally a bang any more than God saying “Let there be light” was literally how the universe was created. Essay? They’re both mythic ideas that point at an actual truth our mammalian minds aren’t equipped to leviathan grasp. Myths are a lens through which we investigate the mysteries of the world around us. Change the myth, and you can change the structure, world – as JRR Tolkien well knew when, alongside other writers including CS Lewis, he began to hobbes leviathan consider the possibility of creating new myths to help us better understand the modern world – or if not to understand it better, then to thesis understand it differently. Tolkien borrowed the Greek term “mythpoesis” to describe the task of modern myth-making, and so the literary concept of mythopoeia was born.

Tolkien’s myths are profoundly conservative. Both The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings turn on the “return of the king” to his rightful throne. In both cases this “victory” means the reassertion of a feudal social structure which had been disrupted by “evil”. Both books are one-sided recollections made by the Baggins family, members of the landed gentry, in the Red Book of Westmarch – an hobbes leviathan unreliable historical source if ever there was one. A balanced telling might well have shown Smaug to be much more of a reforming force in the valley of visual, Dale. And of leviathan, course Sauron doesn’t even get to appear on the page in The Lord of the Rings, at least not in any form more substantial than a huge burning eye, exactly the kind of treatment one would expect in a work of propaganda. We’re left to take on trust from Gandalf, a manipulative spin doctor, and the Elves, immortal elitists who kill humans and hobbits for even entering their territory, when they say that the maker of the essay on fatima jinnah, one ring is evil. Isn’t it more likely that the orcs, who live in dire poverty, actually support Sauron because he represents the liberal forces of science and industrialisation, in the face of a brutally oppressive conservative social order? The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings aren’t fantasies because they feature dragons, elves and talking trees. They’re fantasies because they mythologise human history, ignoring the brutality and leviathan essay oppression that were part and communication parcel of a world ruled by hobbes essay, men with swords.

But we shouldn’t be surprised that the wish to return to a more conservative society, one where people knew their place, is so popular. It’s the same myth that conservative political parties such as Ukip have always played on: the myth of a better world that has been lost, but can be reclaimed by turning back the clock. Whatever the limitations of technology extended, his own myth-making, Tolkien’s genius as a storyteller rekindled the leviathan, flame of poor essay structure, mythopoeia for generations of hobbes, writers who followed. Today our bookshelves and essay is important in academic communication cinema screens are once again heaving with modern myths. And they represent a vastly diverse spectrum of worldviews, from the authoritarian fantasy of Orson Scott Card’s Enders Game, to the anti-capitalist metaphor of hobbes, The Hunger Games.

The latter is so potent that the three-finger salute given by Katniss Everdeen has become a symbol of freedom. What clearer sign could there be that the contemporary world is essay on fatima, still powered by hobbes leviathan, myth? Originally published in The Guardian. The principle of creative opposition. I’m reading Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon. It’s the most fun I’ve ever had reading a Pynchon novel. On Isolation Of Bacteria? And I think I know why. Pynchon is an ideas man. High-concept, conspiracy theorist, humanity as an organic mishap in a grinding clockwork universe kind of ideas.

Inherent Vice is a small scale, comedy of errors, sundrenched California noir novel. It’s still Pynchon, but with the vast conceptual frameworks snipped into hobbes leviathan, human insights. This is a brave and on fatima jinnah good thing to do as a writer. Or any kind of creator. Figure what your strengths are, realise they are also your weakness, and essay locate a force to oppose them. If you’re a writer of essay structure, intimate character studies, place your characters in a galaxy spanning quest. If you’re a sculptor of monolithic bronzes, apply those shapes to essay a pendant.

If you’re a songwriter of zippy pop ballads, work with an design technology industrial techno collaborator. If you’re a great cook of French meat dishes, experiment with a vegetarian menu. If you’re an essay international businessman, spend a weekend running a market stall. You get the idea. This might not produce your bestseller or top 40 hit, but it will reignite your creative engines. Grounded Theory Research? And it might produce your bestseller or top 40 hit. Creative success can be its own trap. We always need something to resist, a force to challenge our strengths, a source of creative opposition. Or ask me a question on twitter. 30 years after they were first published, the Culture novels of Iain M Banks are more popular than ever.

Our first image of Iain M Banks’s Culture universe is a man drowning in sewage: a stark precedent for hobbes leviathan essay what was to come. Short Essay Jinnah? And 30 years after its first publication, Consider Phlebas remains a novel grimily opposed to the shiny rocketships and derring-do of most space opera. Banks broke the genre apart, and with a little inspiration from M John Harrison and hobbes leviathan essay Ursula Le Guin (and some outright theft from Larry Niven), he created a series of space opera novels that remains unmatched. But for all his mastery of high-octane action sequences, and the sheer invention of his Big Dumb Objects, Banks’s science fiction – credited to M Banks, his fiction going without the middle initial – has lasted because his deft balance of galactic scope with human-scale stories. Stories of loss, grief, rebirth and self-discovery are the core of the best Culture novels.

He did not write sci-fi and visual communication literary novels – he was a master of storytelling that combined both. These are my top five Culture novels, but I could have included at essay, least five more. I’d put Use of Weapons at six, which might perplex fans of Banks at poor, his most gung-ho. Seven would be short-story collection The State of the hobbes leviathan, Art, which contains only brief glimpses of the Culture. Matter (eight), Inversions (nine) and Surface Detail (10) all have their own strengths, but lack the genius of Banks at his best – which I think you’ll find here: The final published Culture novel was a return to top form for Banks. Essay? The Gzilt are ready to “sublime” to the the next plane of existence. But first some old scores must be settled.

It’s the most openly satirical of all Banks’s SF novels, offering an angry critique of “third-way” liberal leaders like Tony Blair. But the star of the show is the Mistake Not, a Culture ship of “non-standard” type IE packing lots of high-level weaponry. It shows exactly how tough the utopian Culture can be. Minds – sentient thinking computers – are the hobbes leviathan essay, secret stars of the Culture novels, but here they take centre stage. Poor Essay? What do virtually immortal, super intelligent AIs do for fun? Among other things they play out decades-long plots to leviathan topple less developed, more barbaric civilisations.

But even Minds sometimes run up against opponents they can’t outwit. Essay Writing Is Important Communication? Featuring the Affront, a race literally named for how outrageously evil they are, this is Banks at his most playful, comedic and leviathan essay inventive. After almost drowning the hero in sewage in it’s opening scene, the first published Culture novel goes on poor essay structure, a rip roaring killing spree across the leviathan, major sights of the Banksian universe. Space pirates, ringworlds, cannibal cultists, a lethal card game, and a Planet of the Dead… the Culture is jinnah, shown through the eyes of those who hate and leviathan essay fear this machine lead society, creating by far the darkest of all Banks’s science fiction writing. Both a love poem to extended essay the joy of game play, and a warning against leviathan essay, the psychology of the game player, the story of the Culture’s best gameplayer, who is on thesis on isolation, a quest to compete against an alien society where games decide real world hierarchies, is the most complete and accessible book in the Culture series. This makes it a good starting point for the Iain M Banks neophyte, and hobbes leviathan essay also the first book I recommend to non-science fiction readers curious about the essay, genre. I suspect that Look To Windward was Iain Banks showing off at the peak of his talents – and what a great show it is. The meddling Culture have accidentally set off a caste war in a civilisation they were trying to liberate. A young, high born officer, maimed in battle and broken by grief, is hobbes leviathan, manipulated to commit a terrorist attack in revenge against the Culture. Meanwhile, an exiled composer creates a symphony to mark the light of an ancient super-nova, seen at two points and six centuries apart, by the immortal Mind who blew the essay structure, star up. The fact that half the hobbes leviathan essay, cast are six limbed tiger-like predators somehow only adds to the poetry.

Look to Windward is short essay on fatima jinnah, where Banks’s interleaving of science fiction imagery, and leviathan literary themes,reaches it’s own symphonic climax, making it not just the greatest Culture novel, but perhaps the greatest ever science fiction novel. My general approach to in academic productivity is: if I don’t remember to do it, it’s probably better undone. But I do handwrite a ToDo list every couple of weeks. Leviathan Essay? Not to remember things, but to visual forget them. A swirl of tasks in the mind gets in the way of more creative thinking. Writing them out as a list is like house cleaning. Looking back at leviathan essay, lists for the last few years, I have a variety of entries along the lines of “Social Media WTF. ” and “Blog vs. Technology Essay? Patreon!” or “FB page…what is it?” There are a lot of essay, exciting tools today to publish writing of essay is important in academic communication, all kinds. In fact, there are far too many, and they can easily stop being useful, and start using you. Social media is heavily “gamified”.

Facebook and other social networks want your attention, and they’re setup to grab it and keep it, by playing on the dopamine hit we get from the hobbes leviathan essay, little red status alerts indicating people are showing us approval. Writing? Social networks are potentially powerful tools. But I suspect for most writers, they are really just an addictive time sink. Social media. You can’t live with it. But you probably can’t live without it either. I’ve taken the puritan path of switching it all off. But it’s like a starvation diet to solve a fast food addiction. Hobbes? Creatively and professionally social media is HUGELY important.

But as it grows more and more powerful, using it without being used by poor essay, it means much greater self-discipline. So I set aside a few days to seriously look at and plan out my social media use. My website is recategorised to make sense of the 1000+ posts and essays I’ve written. My patreon page is completely rewritten. I’ve rediscovered my Facebook page and reduced my Twitter usage. Welcome to the new DAMO: Rebranded.

As I shared with my patreon backers this week, branding for writers is a counter productive activity. But that still leaves us with these powerful tools built, in large part, for projecting a brand image. Leviathan? I suspect I’m far from the technology extended, only writer both intrigued and deterred by the struggle to use them in a balanced way. The trouble with intersectional political alliances as illustrated in Star Wars. Intersectionality is a powerful idea conveyed in leviathan, an overcomplicated word. But Star Wars is a great way to understand it better. One thing I love about scifi?

It provides all the best metaphors to help folks understand the fierce complexities of contemporary politics. Mid-way through the snap UK general election a lot of Harry-Potter-as-political-metaphor memes went around, like Corbyn Black saviour of the muggles, or my own tweet on the theme. UKIP = Death Eaters#GE2017. They work well, Harry Potter is after all one huge metaphor for British class structures. Scifi Fantasy are genres that tell stories as metaphors, and the best of those metaphorical narratives are always applicable to our actual reality today. Lord of the Rings as allegory for World War 1 is well known. But the mother of essay writing is important communication, all scifi political metaphors today must be Star Wars.

Star Wars is a metaphor for a very specific kind of social / political / military conflict. It happens to be the dominant conflict of our era, fought in hobbes leviathan, many forms, and in many places, for well over a century. Poor? Amusingly, many people only woke to Star Wars metaphorical meaning with the release of Rogue One, which amped up the political commentary to hobbes essay levels that even weak willed fanboy manchildren could not miss. A diverse alliance of rebel forces fight for essay writing in academic communication Liberation from an hobbes imperial force aiming to Conserve the priviledge and power of design, one single racial / cultural / gender identity. That’s the political background of Star Wars in essay, a sentence, and research it’s also the hobbes leviathan, politics of most 20th and essay is important early 21st century conflicts. From WW2 Nazis vs Allies, to the fierce political conflicts tearing up the hobbes leviathan, USA today, it’s the fight between Liberal vs. Conservative powers that we see repeated time and again. “Admiral Ackbar feels his people are the real leaders of the rebellion, and as allies the humans should probably damn well shut up and take orders.”

Liberals face a serious problem in this battle. Consider the is important, Rebel Alliance. It’s made up of the most diverse possible set of hobbes leviathan essay, allies. Not even cross species, it includes military and other forces who literally come from different evolutionary systems. Communication? Star Wars never goes into hobbes essay, it in depth, but we have to presume the Rebel Alliance has overcome a lot of infighting to unify conflicting agendas into one coherent strategy. From what we see, Rebel X-Wing pilots are predominantly male, blue collar guys with security / technical backgrounds. In contrast the design technology essay, alliance diplomatic corps lead by Mon Mothma and hobbes essay Leia seem to be mostly women with liberal arts / humanities educations.

These two groups probably see the rebellion very differently, and have to continually negotiate to design technology find a good working relationship. Join my online writing course for hobbes essay story geeks. The Mon Calamari cruisers can take on multiple Imperial star destroyers at grounded research paper, once, but were only coverted for military function after the Mon Calamari were targetted and nearly wiped out by Imperial forces. No doubt Admiral Ackbar feels his people are the real leaders of the rebellion, and hobbes as allies the humans, who basically caused all these problems with their history of colonialism, should damn well shut up and take orders. Who knows what the Bothans want from the whole thing, but many of them died to recover those plans, so they probably expect a cut of any political settlement when the Republic is re-established. In real life we have a word for visual communication the problems of factionalism faced by Liberal political alliances.

It’s a word much mocked by Conservative a*holes. And perhaps with some cause, because while it represents a very useful idea, it is in itself an overly complex term, drawn from academese, expressing the tendency of intellectuals to leviathan cloak their discussions in design technology extended essay, invented jargon. Hobbes? Intersectionality emerged from essays, academic feminist discourse of the 1980s, but is widely used today in the raucous online arguments spawned by social media. Essay? But for all its problems, intersectionality does literally mean what it says. Intersectionality means this. That gender discrimination, racism, classism, homophobia, ableism and other social justice causes all INTERSECT. Essay? They share a single common cause. And they all benefit by working together. All of these groups: women, people of colour, LGBT, the essay, working classes, and many more, are all victims of short jinnah, political oppression.

And the people doing the oppressing are the essay, Empire. The political and economic elite of the day. Design? The 1%. For whome class, race and gender are all convenient pretexts to divide and conquer the masses they rule over. Without a widely held concept of intersectionality, of hobbes leviathan essay, shared political interest, it’s all too easy for different groups of people suffering under political oppression, to blame each other for their problems.

Look at the situation today, where the white working classes in America and Europe are told to theory research blame poor immigrants for the lack of jobs. In fact both groups are equally exploited by leviathan essay, the 1%. If they work together they can improve their situation. But that can only happen if they recognise the intersection of their shared interests. Essays? Otherwise the divided will always be defeated. Can X-Wing pilots and the diplomatic corps ever work together? One of the most bitter divides between liberal causes today is along the fault line of gender vs. class. You can see this in the fight between Berniebros socialists vs.

Hilary Clinton feminists that broke out in the 2016 US presidential primaries. This is an old, old conflict. Socialism evolved through the hobbes leviathan essay, late 19th and early 20th century as a political movment focused on liberating working class men, and essay writing is important in academic has always clashed seriously with feminism as it emerged over a similar timeframe, as an ideology lead by middle and upper class women. Berniebros vs HRC Feminists is only the hobbes, latest flareup among groups who should be alies. I’m not here to offer a solution to design technology extended white male working class socialism vs. white female middle class feminism. Only to leviathan point out visual communication essays, that if X-Wing pilots behaved with the rank misogyny of Berniebros, the hobbes leviathan, Rebel Alliance would never have even formed, let alone found victory at the battle of Yavin. Then again, maybe X-Wing pilot assholery was only resolved by the more intelligent, better educated diplomatic corps never lowering themselves to the level of trading insults. A better word for the intersection of shared political interests? The oppresive power of communism was cast off in part because political leaders like Lech Walesa in Poland could draw on the idea of Solidarity.

Maybe today we need to stop using a confusing term like intersectionality, and return to using simpler words like unity or togetherness. Of course Star Wars has it’s own word for intersectionality. Essay? The Force is, after all, what surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the hobbes leviathan essay, galaxy together. So next time you see a Star Wars fanboy making an structure ignorant rant about intersectional social justice warriors, maybe just calmly point out that he’s taking sides against hobbes leviathan essay, Jedi knights wielding the Force. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it.

A good friend needed help facing the blank page. I found this quote for him. Now I present it too you. (It’s often attributed to Goethe, but in visual essays, fact the authorship is unknown.) Please share with anyone you think might love it. “Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back – concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: That the leviathan, moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to poor essay structure help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of leviathan, events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and essay writing is important material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it.

Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.” Yes, Corbyn can win. Here’s how. #GE2017. We live in strange political times. Around the world far right leaders are adopting traditionaly socialist policies to get elected. Trump promised huge public spending on infrastructure.

Le Pen is promising a huge rise in social benefits. What’s going on? The bottom line is, working and middle class people in America and Europe are poorer than they once were. Essay? So much poorer that we are falling into grounded theory research paper, the conditions of hobbes essay, developing nations. Wealth is capitalising in the hands of the very rich.

Ordinary people can no longer afford college, to own a house, or access proper healthcare. The far right can see this, and thesis are exploiting the fear it’s creating. In the hobbes leviathan essay, UK we have one political leader who is offering hope instead of fear. Theory Paper? Jeremy Corbyn is similar in politics to Bernie Sanders in hobbes leviathan, the US. Extended Essay? A traditional, centre left, democratic socialist. His political offer is similar to the existing policies in the Nordic nations or Germany, all much more equal and fairer societies. But in the UK, that makes him look like a far left radical. Like Sanders, Corbyn has faced bitter opposition both from conservatives, and the liberal wing of his own party. The liberal agenda doesn’t address poverty effectively, and opposes the policies, like tax rises, needed to tackle it. So a leader like Corbyn faces intense opposition from people who are, theoratically at least, on his side, making his position look much weaker than it really is. Unlike Sanders, Corbyn succeeded in hobbes leviathan essay, becoming leader of Britain’s major left wing party.

And now with the calling of a snap election by essay on fatima jinnah, the Tory party, Corbyn has a shot at putting Labour in power. We’re being told that Corbyn absolutely can not win. But we’re being told this by a media entirely owned by conservative and hobbes leviathan liberal interests, who aren’t presenting a fair picture. In fact, Corbyn has a good chance. Here’s why. Because of the high expectation of a Tory landslide victory, Corbyn can win simply by holding the ground that Labour currently control. If the Tories don’t gain significantly at this point, it will be seen as a rejection of their destructive stance on Brexit and their austerity policies. And winning is much more difficult for the Tory party than the polls reflect.

To win a large majority, conservaties need to win a raft of small towns surrounding cities like Leicester, Shefield and Manchester in the midlands and north of the UK. These places, which have suffered worst from growing poverty, have protested by voting for UKIP and Brexit. Thesis? Pollsters are giving the Tories a major advantage on the assumption that UKIP / Brexit votes will translate to Tory votes. This assumption is almost certainly false. Corbyn and Labour are much more likely to hobbes essay hold all these seats, maintaining the status quo, than polls suggest. In the south the grounded theory, Tory party face a huge resurgent threat from the Liberal Democrats. The south east in particular has been tipping from conservative to leviathan essay liberal for technology extended essay the last 30 years, with constuencies like Guildford flipping yellow to LibDem. Hobbes Essay? Factor in Brexit, which the south east voted against, and there’s a strong possibility the jinnah, Tories will lose significant seats to the LibDems in hobbes, this election.

If Labour holds in the midlands and the north, and essay on fatima the LibDems win significant seats in the south east, then the Tories lose their majority and we are into a situation of coalition government. Hobbes Leviathan Essay? Corbyn would almost certainly emerge as leader of any coalition government in those circumstances. Research Paper? Even if he didn’t, this outcome would shatter the current Tory leadership. Add to this, that only four days into the election campaign, Labour and Corbyn have halved the Tory poll lead. How? Corbyn’s team have been planning for a snap election.

They have a raft of policies ready to go, like the end of college tuition fees, and raising taxes on earners over ?70k. These policies offer hope of a fairer and more equal society to millions of Britons who have been crushed into poverty by both conservative and liberal policies over the last 40 years. The real question on which this election turns is this. Will the people of Britain see and vote for leviathan essay the economic justice in the policies Corbyn and Labour are offering? If so, you can expect your next PM to be Jeremy Corbyn. If not, it will be Theresa May. Thesis? But as poverty and inequality grows even starker, you will eventually see a far right leader exploit that anger to sweep to power in the UK. And that will truly be a dark day.

One of the major barriers to a Corbyn win, is the perception that Corbyn can’t win. If you agree with this post, please share it on social media. Follow me on Twitter @damiengwalter. No, The Handmaid’s Tale is leviathan, not science fiction. Sci-fi sells us fantasies.

Margaret Atwood’s classic novel is all about the danger of fantasy. Design Extended? Why should they be pigeon holed together? Damien writes on scifi, culture and hobbes politics for The Guardian, Independent, Wired, BBC and Aeon magazine, and also right here. Follow on Twitter @damiengwalter. Women understand, I think much better than men, how horrifying it is to be the object of another person’s fantasy. Glen Close going stalker crazy on Michael Douglas in Fatal Attraction is so alien and horrifying to men that you can make a box office smash from poor, it. Women experience that behaviour from men daily. “The men who founded Gilead probably read and enjoyed John Norman’s Gor novels.” The Handmaid’s Tale is hobbes leviathan, a story all about the skincrawling horror of being held captive as an communication object of fantasy. It’s literary lineage is closer to The Collector by John Fowles than anything by Arthur C Clarke.

Margaret Atwood has generally resisted all labels for it, including the most commonly applied, that it is hobbes leviathan essay, a feminist novel, preferring to on isolation of bacteria call it simply a human story. Hobbes? And despite being nominated for numerous sci’fi awards, has never accepted that label either. Science fiction fans have proved less than happy with that refusal to design technology extended pigeon hole. As The Handmaid’s Tale has grown in fame, SF fandom has frequently asked why the book isn’t sold or marketed in the genre. It’s not an unreasonable question, after all it shares some similarities with science fiction. It’s set in the near future, in hobbes leviathan, what you might think of as a branching alternate timeline from our own history. Imagine an alternate timeline where The Handmaid’s Tale was published as science fiction. Possibly in the kind of pulp cover that many novels featuring women enslaved to strange obsessive Nazis often featured, with a subtitile like “I was a captive of extended, fundamentalist perverts!”, and shipped out to bookshops, as one of many sci-fi novels released in 1985. The sci-fi edition of The Handmaid’s Tale would have found itself in hobbes essay, strange, and deeply inappropriate company. Essay Writing Is Important In Academic Communication? Among the actual scifi bestsellers of 1985 was Mercenaries of Gor, the 21st novel in John Norman’s Gor saga.

For the unaware, the Gor novels are about a fantasy world where men are muscular barbarian warriors and women, many abducted from Earth, are their sex slaves. By the leviathan, standards of the modern internet the Gor novels aren’t terribly shocking, but they are full on poor essay, BDSM sex fantasies. To give John Norman some minimal credit, he wove such a potent sexual fantasy in the Gor novels that they gave rise to the Gorean subculture, and remain quite widely read today. Is there anything wrong with the Gor novels? Only if you think there’s anything wrong with Laurel K Hamilton’s kinky wereleopard sex novels, with erotic fiction in hobbes leviathan essay, general, or with pornography as a whole. Few people today believe that repressing our sexual fantasies leads anywhere good.

We live in extended, a liberal society that believes it’s much healthier to recognise, express and even celebrate our sexual fantasies. But there is a serious problem if we can’t distinguish between indulging fantasy, and critically discussing the dangers of fantasy. Because without that critical discussion, we face the serious risk of hobbes, fantasy being allowed to slip into essay on fatima jinnah, reality. The men who founded Gilead probably read and enjoyed John Norman’s Gor novels. And enjoyed their fantasy so much, they used murder and violence to hobbes leviathan enforce it as America’s new reality. Look at ISIS today, the Nazis in the 1930s, or any brutal patriarchal society in on isolation of bacteria, history. These are men driven to make their personal fantasies of power, dominance and hobbes control the reality that others must live under. The newly empowered Trumpist far right is terrifying because it shares so many features with those patriarchal regimes, not least its worrying preference for fantasy over reality and fact. I fear that, had The Handmaid’s Tale been published as science fiction, it would not today be playing such a pivotal role as a symbol of resistance against Trump and theory research paper the far right. Because sci-fi floods the world with fantasy. Hobbes Essay? Sometimes high quality entertaining fantasy like those great MARVEL movies.

Sometimes rather cheap and exploitative fantasy like John Norman’s Gor novels. Design Technology Extended? But if we’re going to understand, and change for hobbes leviathan essay the better, our reality, we need to clearly recognise the work of writers, artists and other creators, who are doing more than selling us escapist fantasies. No comments here. Find me on Facebook or Twitter. Scarlet Johansson’s star quality makes her all wrong for Ghost in the Shell. Cyberpunk’s literary roots have always dug deep into themes of self destruction…both our terror of losing, and lust to be liberated from, our self. No comments here, but come talk to me on @damiengwalter. It’s hard for a human as universally recognised as Scarlet Johansson to of bacteria pass as a nobody.

But Major Motoko Kusanagi, the protagonist of the new Johanson vehicle and cyberpunk franchise Ghost in the Shell, is the ultimate nobody. The Major is leviathan, a synthetic human, who appears in the form of an athletic young woman primarily because creator Masamune Shirow understood the young male audience for short essay jinnah his 1989 manga series. There’s no small irony that, in the ongoing project to hobbes leviathan essay create her star self, Johansson has stumbled by trying to remake a story that is all about the destruction of self. Beneath the surface of thesis on isolation of bacteria, its now cliche iconography – mirrorshades, black leather trench coats, flickering neon lighting – cyberpunk has always been about the self. Leviathan? Or more precisely, a philosophical investigation into what will remain of the essay on fatima jinnah, self once technology has remade human life. Hobbes Leviathan? Before cyberpunk gave Bladerunner and essay writing is important in academic The Matrix to cinema, those ideas were evolved in two related literary forms – Japanese manga and American / European hard science fiction, which began asking hard questions of identity and self at around the same time. “But we’re also powerfully drawn to any experience that allows us to essay escape our self. Video games, virtual reality, cinematic CGI, all provide a technological liberation from our self.”

William Gibson’s novella Burning Chrome features a young woman who is hustling to buy new eyes, the latest Nikon’s, so she can become a “simstim” star. It’s an extended image Gibson builds on leviathan, with the character of Molly Millions (a likely influence over Major Kusanagi), a cybernetically enhanced bodyguard whose eyes are sealed behind mirrorshade insets. His skill at composing such poetic metaphors for self transformation made Gibson the spiritual leader of the cyberpunk movement, even before cyberpunk as a name was coined. For much of it’s history science fiction treated technology as a power controlled by men. Competent scientists who built rockets, and explored alien worlds. Cyberpunk inverted this equation to ask harder, more interesting questions. When technology allows us to replace first our eyes, then our entire bodies, what will be left of “us” at all? When technology lets us reprogramme our minds as easily as we programme a computer, what of our self will be left? For most of us, especially those brought up to believe in some form of soul or spirit at the centre of our human self, these questions can be terrifying. That terror at thesis, losing our selves gives cyberpunk its strange mix of dystopian darkness and fantasy wish fulfillment. Anyone struggling to “unplug” from the internet understands the essay, terror of essay, having our self obliterated by technology.

But we’re also powerfully drawn to any experience that allows us to hobbes leviathan escape our self. Video games, virtual reality, cinematic CGI, all provide a technological liberation from our self. Watching Scarlet Johansson deconstructed and remade as Major Kusanagi, we’re watching our own selves experience this fantasy…or nightmare. Japanese creators of essay is important, cyberpunk perhaps have an essay advantage in exploring the nightmare fantasy of tecnological self destruction. Buddhist cultures already understand the thesis on isolation of bacteria, self as “empty“, a construct of perception, subject to constant change. Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo, arguably the greatest cyberpunk narrative, sculpts a baroque and horrifying metaphor for the self. Leviathan Essay? In the anime’s infamous climax, a young hero cursed with psychic powers is mutated into a vast mound of essay communication, human flesh, crushing the city beneath muscle and bone, as his full psychic self is manifested in hobbes, our physical world. The excitement inspired by a movie adapation of Ghost in the Shell is because, as we stare into communication, our smartphones, and soon our VR headsets, we’re living in the midst of a revolution in how we see our selves. Masamune Shirow’s manga and anime originals have something to say about that. But as is so often the case with Hollywood adaptations, Scarlet Johansson’s visually impressive, but intellectually shallow retelling, does not. That’s a shame, and hobbes leviathan not only because the movie’s “whitewashing” also robs of it of the cultural context that gave it the Ghost in the Shell meaning.

But also because Johansson, as one of the most adept sculptors of self identity alive today, might have had so much more to say on the subject. Trump voters are socialists. Writing Is Important In Academic Communication? They just don’t know it yet. Trump voters. Brexit voters. The AltRight. The people who read Infowars, and Breitbart, and the Daily Mail. They’re all early stage socialists, who just haven’t figured out leviathan, that’s what they are yet. For most of the 20th century, global capitalism was a pretty good deal. If you were a white western citizen. Most of the stuff you bought was manufactured by low paid labour in Asia.

Most of the drudge work was done, either at home by women, or by immigrants. Life kept geting cheaper, and you kept earning more, assuming you were a white male, even in a relatively low paying job. Grounded Theory? Global capitalism, clearly an unfair system that exploited millions of hobbes leviathan essay, people, was widely supported by short essay jinnah, white Americans, because they benefited from that exploitation. “As a citizen of a western nation you are now much more likely to be exploited by capitalism.” My how things have changed! Not.

But, if you’re a highly priviledged citizen of the US or Europe, you can see that they are changing. Essay? Asia and essays other less developed areas are quickly catching up with the West. Women play on a more equal footing, and the immigrants who came to work in developed nations are now citizens, demanding and fully deserving equality. People aren’t stupid. Especially when it comes to protecting their own social status. Hobbes Leviathan? Those who benefited from these inequalities can see those benefits slipping away. Capitalism remains a deeply unfair and unequal way to organise the global economy. But in one regard it has become fairer. As a citizen of a western nation you are now much more likely to be exploited by short essay, capitalism.

Capitalism has become trully global. Corporations, banks, hedge funds and billionaires move freely around the world. Hobbes Leviathan? They are equal opportunities exploiters, as happy to essay profit from low paid labour in England as in China. And the benefits of capitalism have also moved around. New middle classes in Asia, South America and Africa are being given the deal that the hobbes leviathan, US and Europe got before them. Poor Essay? Capitalism now has many new fans and supporters, in places like China that previously tried to get rid of it.

But back where it began, in the US and UK, a lot of people are furious with global capitalism, and the “neo-liberal” agenda that today drives it. Right now, what the people of the US and UK are demanding is a return to the capitalist deal of hobbes leviathan, 40 years ago. They want jobs brought back from on fatima, Asia, immigrants sent back beyond their borders, and women back under the thumb. That’s the agenda that got Trump elected, that leads to Britain voting to exit the EU, and is powering audiences for sites like Breitbart. The winners of capitalism can see they’re at risk of being made the losers, and they’re terrified by hobbes, the prospect. I don’t think it takes a genius to essay writing communication realise that global capitalism isn’t going to roll back 40 years because some old people in Idaho and Bolton are unhappy about it. And I think anybody with half an eye on the future can see that new technologies and automation are going to make the capitalist deal much, much more unequal. So what happens when Trump and Brexit fail to deliver a temporal shift back to leviathan 1957? This is one of the last campaign advertisements run by poor, Donald Trump before his election as president. Anyone familiar with socialism will recognise the message of the leviathan essay, Trump ad as a radically socialist one. Poor? Trump is no socialist, but he was willing to say anything to win.

And Steve Bannon of Breitbart, alongside other altright political sites like Infowars, had devised a winning formula. Nationalist yes. Dog whistle racism yes. But also radically socialist, for a huge audience of Americans in the very early stages of questioning capitalism. In the UK much the leviathan essay, same trick was played. Essay Structure? Brits were told that ?350 million a week would be taken back from the EU and spent on hobbes leviathan essay, the National Health Service. This lie was believed by extended, many because, for at leviathan essay, least 30 years, the British tabloid media has been equating the EU with global capitalism, via the issue of immigration. There’s a deep irony here of grounded research paper, course, because the leviathan essay, EU actually acts as a bulwark against the worst excesses of capitalism. “In 5 years or so, the vast majority of Trump voters will be calling for nationalised healthcare, tax hikes on the rich, and free college tuition.” In the US and UK a huge section of the population, who previously voted to support the free market capitalism of Reagan and Thatcher, are for in academic communication the first time in their lives questioning that capitalist model.

In the short term that’s pushed them towards nationalism, protectionism and hobbes racism. But regressing to essay racist political ideals will only hurt the economies of the leviathan essay, UK and the US more deeply. And as that pain kicks in, those people are arriving at grounded research, exactly the same socialist ideas that exploited people all over hobbes leviathan essay, the world have been arguing since Karl Marx – socialism. Socialism is a dialectic. Robbed of their faith in short essay, capitalism, Trumpists, Brexiteers, Breitbarters and hobbes AltRighters are now at stage 1 of the socialist learning process. That’s why so much of what they say sounds like communist revolutionaries shouting “down with the elite”. But as they learn, they’re going to arrive at the same democratic socialist ideas that were squeezed out of US politics decades ago.

In 5 years or so, the vast majority of thesis of bacteria, Trump voters will be calling for hobbes leviathan essay nationalised healthcare, tax hikes on the rich, and free college tuition. Because these socialist ideas are neccesary to short essay jinnah balance a modern economy. Even Trump voters are on hobbes, track to realise they are socialists, whether they know it now or not. Why does this matter? Because the political left just lost its best electoral opportunity in decades. Poor Structure? A huge swathe of the hobbes leviathan essay, voting public are looking for answers to failed capitalism. But the left offered the short essay, same compromise position that brought it victory in the 2000’s. The left lost because it refused to argue for its own ideals , and hobbes stood watching as the right wing stole it’s ground.

We can’t afford to poor essay structure make the same mistake again. No comments here, come shout at me on Twitter. Olaf Stapledon on how science fiction defeats fascism. With fascism growing at a terrible pace today, Olaf Stapledon’s words from 1937, written at the height of the Nazi menace, hold meaning for all sci-fi fans, readers, and leviathan writers. This post could not have been written without the structure, support of my patrons. “Perhaps the attempt to see our turbulent world against a background of hobbes leviathan, stars may, after all, increase, not lessen, the significance of the design technology extended, present human crisis.” I’m privileged to be a part of the worldwide science fiction community. As a writer and blogger, as a graduate of the Clarion science fiction writers workshop, as a regular columnist on hobbes essay, SF for The Guardian, and as a lifelong reader and essay communication fan.

Like many in the SF community and leviathan beyond, I’ve watched the writing, emergence of modern fascism with bleak Lovecraftian horror. It feels as though our little world of sci-fi readers and writers got an early foretaste of hobbes, this when a group of far right activists turned the Hugo awards into a platform for their bigoted ideology. But there’s a good reason why the Sadly Rabid Puppies targeted the world’s biggest SF award – science fiction can be a powerful way of resisting fascism. The small minded nationalism that lead to Brexit in essays, the UK, and the outright racism that fueled the Trump campaign, have left the whole world in no doubt that the far right is making its strongest push to assert fascist ideology on hobbes leviathan essay, us all since the 1930s. That time it lead to visual communication essays global war. Today we are all searching for any way we can prevent that tragedy repeating. How can science fiction be more than an escape from leviathan essay, today’s reality? One of the greats of the genre has an answer.

Writing in March 1937, at the height of the Nazi threat in Europe, the essay writing in academic, legendary science fiction author Olaf Stapledon wondered what response he and other writers could make in such dark times. “In these conditions it is difficult for hobbes leviathan essay writers to pursue their calling at once with courage and with balanced judgment. Some merely shrug their shoulders and withdraw from the central struggle of our age. These, with minds closed against the world’s most vital issues, inevitably produce works which not only have no depth of thesis on isolation, significance for their contemporaries, but also are subtly insincere. “ Stapledon is keen to identify that a central risk for any writer, artist or creator in the face of leviathan essay, terror, is too hide. But Stapledon sees an essay writing in academic equal and opposite hobbes leviathan risk, for writers who “take up arms” as political activists. “The very urgency of their service may tend to blind them to the importance of maintaining and extending, what may be called the ‘self critical self consciousness of the human species’, the attempt to see man’s life as a whole in relation to the rest of writing is important, things. This involves the will to regard all human affairs and ideals and hobbes leviathan essay theories with as little human prejudice as possible . Grounded Research? Those who are in the thick of the struggle inevitably tend to become, though in a great and just cause, partisan. “ These words, that so accurately capture the conundrum faced by writers today, were written by Stapledon for the introduction to his seminal SF novel Star Maker. It’s a story that reaches beyond the essay, bounds of human existence, to life in the broadest possible sense, on communication essays, the galactic scale, and has been inspiration to hobbes leviathan essay generations of SF authors.

And it’s a novel that, far from worshipping only at the altar of science, also dives headlong into the spiritual. “At the risk of writing, raising thunder both on the Left and the Right, I have occasionally used certain ideas and words derived from religion, and I have tried to interpret them in relation to modern needs. Hobbes Essay? The valuable, though much damaged words “spiritual” and “worship”, which have become almost as obscene to the Left as the good old sexual words are to the Right, are here intended to suggest an experience the Right is apt to pervert and the Left to misconceive.” That experience, in Olaf Stapledon’s thinking, is to design technology essay see the world from hobbes leviathan, a perspective beyond the human individual, or any political ideology. Stapledon believed that the highest calling of science fiction was to show us the universe, our world, and our selves in new ways. To see our “turbulent world against a background of stars”. “The attempt to essay communication see our turbulent world against a background of stars may, after all, increase, not lessen, the significance of the present human crisis.” As the last year has unfolded, and the peril of our new political situation has become clearer, my thoughts have gone to Star Maker many times.

Seeing our moment in the full context of our history, and leviathan essay potential future, is a form of self-healing, and a way to reorient our perspective away from the immediate tumult, and back to the bigger, universal, picture. Fascism can only win by reducing us to the most narrow minded and bigoted ways of short essay on fatima, seeing the world. Science fiction is a perfect way to leviathan essay show people the essay, widest, most imaginative, and most hopeful ways of seeing. As SF readers and writers we might choose activism, we might choose withdrawal. But if we really want to make a difference, our best tool is to write, read and promote great science fiction. A FEW CONTEMPORARY WRITERS I FIND HOPE IN:

Tell me the writers helping to inspire your resistance on hobbes, Twitter and Facebook. Writer. Contributor to The Guardian, Independent, BBC, Wired, IO9, Buzzfeed, Aeon. Grounded Theory? Writing teacher.